I know, I do love food, but I do not consider myself a foodie. I am sure it is common to assume “Well she writes about food, she must be a foodie.” I get it and I do have actual admiration and respect for true foodies and even more for people who dedicate their lives to bringing the general population amazing eats. I can only cook for people I like, love or respect in some way. (and maybe some of their friends) To me foodies have some key elements I am lacking. #1 is actually pretty embarrassing! As someone who wants to travel the world and taste cuisine from various counties I wish I could get over it, that will some day become kind of a big deal.
Foodie (sometimes spelled foody) is an informal term for a particular class of aficionado of food and drink.
A person that spends a keen amount of attention and energy on knowing the ingredients of food, the proper preparation of food, and finds great enjoyment in top-notch ingredients and exemplary preparation.
A foodie is not necessarily a food snob, only enjoying delicacies and/or food items difficult to obtain and/or expensive foods; though, that is a variety of foodie.
1. I do not like fish. Ok, I can eat a Tuna Fish sandwich and the occasional chef can grill an Ahi steak to perfection that I will eat. Aside from that, not interested. I do like shrimp, crab and lobster sometimes. Oysters, Clams or scallops, NO thank you.
2. I like cheese and I like a pretty wide variety of cheese, however my cheese funkiness level only goes to a certain degree. I can stick with the classics just fine.
3. I have a major challenge with slimy textures, they gross me out. Texture is a big deal to me.
4. I like my sweet with a pinch of salty, but I can’t deal with taking it too far. I do not want a pork chop on my ice cream sundae or whatever is the latest fad. I also like my sweet without spicy, I do not need Habanero caramel skittles.
5. I am a TOTAL cheapskate!! I probably will from time to time spend money on food that the average person may not, but I pick those items very carefully. I also spend more than I like to admit on coffee. But on a normal every day basis I am frugal to the core.
6. If I had a death row meal, it would probably be corned beef and cabbage with roasted red potatoes. Dessert would be something chocolate with a cup of coffee. Not very fancy!
7. I do not drink beer or wine, not even a little bit. It’s the hard stuff or nothing for me.
8. I can eat the same thing for lunch or breakfast 40 days in a row. When I like something I want it every day, until the next thing comes along I get stuck in a rut.
9. Given the choice of multiple dishes, 9 times out of ten I am going to pick Steak!
And finally #10 in a league all it’s own I have a ton of weird food quirks, for example I do not like raw tomatoes, but can eat stewed. I can always eat the first 1/2 of a sandwich exactly as served, however the second half almost always is altered in some way. I love cayenne pepper sauce, maybe too much, and put it on a lot of what I eat. I hate shredded lettuce, keep it off my sandwiches and plate! I for sure do not eat the recommended daily amount of fruits or veggies; I try but know I do not. I love salt, I will always salt a steak.
What is your embarrassing food hang up?
Some of my favorite “foodie” photo’s…….Just for fun!